Sunday, April 12, 2015

This is Probably Why You're Afraid of Clowns (Non- YA Book Recommendation)

I did say I was going to back to Stephen King when I announced my hiatus from YA so I figured I should break my silence on my favorite adult fiction writer. (I'm currently reading "Doctor Sleep" in case you're wondering and it's super.)
My favorite book by Mr. King is "It." I read it because, once again, I wanted to watch the movie and I just hate watching things that are books before experiencing the book. It took me a long time to get through but it was so worth the time. People assume "It" is about this clown that eats children (which he does) but it's about so much more than that. The clown is hardly in the book really. It's more about this group of kids and their friendships and sigh it's actually super beautiful and made me kid of sad but in that pleasant way books do.
I think Stephen King has this reputation for being a horror novelist and don't get me wrong his stories are eerie and have startling images and I can totally see how they could scare people. However I don't think any of his (at least of the ones I've read) stories are meant to be scary at their heart. I like Stephen because it feels like all of his books are him just taking a scenario and asking what if? I remember reading this intro he did for the edition I have of "Pet Semetary" and (I'm going to try and paraphrase this story he tells) he's talking about when he moved to this little town for a teaching job with his wife and son where there was this highway in their front yard. One day his son was playing and (I think) chased something out onto the street. He almost got hit by a car but Stephen grabbed him in time. It made Stephen wonder what if I hadn't gotten him in time? (I'm not sure if I got that quite right but it was something like that.) And poof "Pet Sematary" was birthed.
Idk I just really like his books but I know they aren't for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment