Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Kelsey's Classics 3 (Non- YA Book Recommendation)

I'm still on my hiatus from YA lit. I think I'll come back soon but idk who knows I have lots of books on my shelf currently that aren't YA. ANYWAY I totally forgot about another non-YA novelist that I really enjoy. I just started (I'm assuming) his most recent book "The Buried Giant" and am totally into it. I'm talking about Kazuo Ishiguro.
The book of his I'm going to consider one of my classics is "Never Let Me Go" which got an equally heartbreaking movie. This novel is a quasi- dystopian setting in which we've reached the level in science where we are cloning people for their organs. These clones (children) are raised in various "schools" to make sure they stay healthy for the people they are intended to be organ donors for. Once they reach adulthood they go off to start giving their donations. The novel centers around one particular school, Hailsham, and three of it's students. It's weird because like the clones kind of understand what it is they are made for but not really, not until they're being sent out. And the reason the novel is about this one school is because the person who runs it has the kids make art which is unusual for a clone school and there are rumors among the other schools as to why Hailsham is so different.
This book raises a lot of questions regarding science and the value of all types of life and human emotions and OUR SOULS.  It's also like really truly tragic. There's no happy ending or feeling of hope at the end. Which probably doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy but I swear I don't just like fantasy/ romance YA lit. But ugh this book is so good and Ishiguro is a great storyteller. So you should give it a chance. Or not idk.
ALL OF THE TEARS OMG
(these are the three students I was telling you about)

No comments:

Post a Comment