Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Can't Touch This ("Shatter Me" Part 1)

"Shatter Me" thus far has been quite perplexing but enjoyable. You know the drill, I'm half way through blah blah blah it's time to sit for a chat blah blah blah spoilers blah blah blah okay LET'S GET THIS SHOW ON THE ROAD (what does that even mean).
"Shatter Me" is a dystopian novel by Tahereh Mafi that centers around a girl named Juliette. When we first meet Juliette she's locked up in an insane asylum basically and she's getting assigned a roommate which wtf roommates??? Who are both crazy??? Anyway. Which is when we meet Adam, a boy who is from Juliette's childhood. I believe they're both supposed to be 17. Ugh okay so I'm going to try REALLY hard not to include spoilers even though I want to. Because I do find the basic storyline, plot, idea or whatever you want to call it for this book very interesting.
HOWEVER (yes, it's a big however) the language in this book, I feel, gets a bit repetitive which sometimes is the point. There are parts where she literally repeats the same phrase or word three or more times in one sentence I guess because we're in Juliette's head and people repeat stuff in their head I suppose. But that's not the repetition that bothers me. The author describes some things multiple times (like Adam's eyes) and uses the same words or metaphors and sometimes uses cliche figurative language (like that his eyes are blue and deep like the ocean). So because of this sometimes I feel like yelling I GET IT HE HAS DARK BLUE EYES.
But at the same time, at least when I first started reading the book, I found the language to be very poetic and quite beautiful. So maybe she found a few metaphors or phrases that worked off the bat and is kind of beating them to death with the bat. Idk that's just the feeling I'm getting the more I read the book.
Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying "Shatter Me" very much. I'm not really sure why but I am.
Oh, I forgot to mention for some reason Juliette can't touch anyone or it kills them. She basically drains their life force and absorbs it. That's kind of important to the story.
Side note: when you type dystopian it tries to correct it to Utopian. Idk I find that interesting I'm weird okay bye.

2 comments: